ConvaTec Introduces AQUACEL® EXTRA™ Wound Dressings with Hyrofiber Technology in Europe
Medios de Comunicación
SKILLMAN, NJ (23 May 2012) - ConvaTec, a world-leading developer and marketer of innovative medical technologies for community and hospital care, today announced the availability of AQUACEL® EXTRA™ wound dressing with strengthening fiber in certain countries in Europe.
AQUACEL® EXTRA™ wound dressing is composed of two layers of Hydrofiber® Technology stitched together, and designed to make it nine times stronger than current AQUACEL® wound dressings, and to give an increased absorbency of 39% over the current AQUACEL® wound dressing.1,a Cleared for the same indications as AQUACEL® wound dressing products, AQUACEL® EXTRA™ wound dressing will be specifically suitable when managing moderate to highly exuding wounds.
The company plans to introduce AQUACEL® EXTRA™ dressing during the 22nd Conference of the European Wound Management Association (EWMA) in Vienna, Austria, 23-25 May 2012. The new dressing is already available in several countries throughout Europe including Germany, Spain, United Kingdom, Ireland, and the Benelux and Nordic regions. ConvaTec has plans to continue to expand the launch of AQUACEL® EXTRA™ dressing throughout the European region throughout the year.
AQUACEL® EXTRA™ wound dressing is constructed with two-dimensional strengthening fibers that are stitched into the dressing. While made from the same base material that is used to manufacture Hydrofiber® Technology, the strengthening fibers do not gel on contact with fluid so that they maintain integrity and become encompassed by the gel, providing additional strength and aiding the easy removal from wound beds.
"AQUACEL® EXTRA™ wound dressing is an excellent addition to our family of AQUACEL® dressing products. Our customers know the benefits of Hydrofiber® Technology in managing chronic and acute wounds and we are pleased to provide them with a product for wounds where additional absorption is required," explains Paul Moraviec, President, ConvaTec EMEA.
AQUACEL® EXTRA™ wound dressings are available in four sizes: 5cm x 5cm, 10cm x 10cm, 10cm x 12cm, and 15x15cm.
Advanced Wound Dressings with Hydrofiber® Technology from ConvaTec
ConvaTec dressings with Hydrofiber® Technology gel on contact with fluid, providing clinicians and patients with substantial wound care benefits. This unique gelling action enables the dressings to lock in exudate and its harmful components2,3,4,a and contour closely to the wound bed,5,a in response to changing wound conditions. AQUACEL® dressings are soft, absorbent non-woven wound dressings based on Hydrofiber® Technology.
ConvaTec is a leading developer and marketer of innovative medical technologies that have helped improve the lives of millions of people worldwide. With four key focus areas - Ostomy Care, Wound Therapeutics, Continence and Critical Care, and Infusion Devices - ConvaTec products support healthcare professionals from the hospital to the community health setting.
# # #
Hydrofiber and AQUACEL are registered trademarks and AQUACEL EXTRA is a trademark of ConvaTec Inc.
© 2012 ConvaTec Inc. AP-012466-MM
- Assessment of the Physical Properties of AQUACEL® EXTRA and AQUACEL Dressings. Scientific Background Report WHRI3461 TA214. 2011 Data on File, ConvaTec.
- Walker M, Hobot JA, Newman GR, Bowler PG. Scanning electron microscopic examination of bacterial immobilization in a carboxymethylcellulose (Aquacel) and alginate dressings.Biomaterials.2003; 24:883-890.
- Waring MJ, Parsons D. Physico-chemical characterization of carboxymethylated spun cellulose fibres.Biomaterials.2001; 22:903-912.
- Walker M, Bowler PG, Cochrane CA. In vitro studies to show sequestration of matrix metalloproteinases by silver-containing wound care products.Ostomy Wound Manage.2007; 53(9):18-25.
- Jones SA, Bowler PG, Walker M. Antimicrobial activity of silver-containing dressings is influenced by dressing conformability with a wound surface.Wounds.2005; 17(9):263-270.